Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to be a qualified freediver to belong to SAFF?
No, we have an instructor section where you can find your instructor and then get the necessary qualifications to become a freediver.
Can anyone take part in a freediving competition?
Only SAFF members that are qualified freedivers with a medical certificate and can partake in competitions. Your membership to SAFF give you access to instructors who can get you qualified, and competitions hosted all over the country.
Is a record attempt awarded automatically?
No, you need to apply for a record attempt about 6 weeks prior the attempt with the SAFF committee.
Can a newly qualified freediver compete in competitions?
Yes, please read Competition For Average People written by Malani Muller for great insight for new competitive freedivers.
How do I get provincial and national colours?
- The applicant has to have been a paid-up member of SAFF for at least 2 consecutive years
- The applicant needs to have competed in at least two SAFF ratified local qualifier competitions. (We ratify competitions hosted by Pure Apnea, AIDA, CMAS as well as SAFF competitions) Results of the competitions need to be communicated to SAFF
- The applicant needs to have demonstrated that their performance places them in the top 10 percentile of competitors in the country.
- The applicant needs to make the application at least 6 weeks before they are due to represent their country in an international event.
- If there are any freedivers who feel that they meet these requirements, they must please make application in writing to email@example.com.